Skype / online therapy
Skype is a free video program that is safe to download and install, and its also free to use. Skype therapy is an online video to video psychotherapy service, so you can have a therapy session in the comfort of your own home. Both you and your therapist will be able to see and hear each other via a computer or laptop, this video link is secure and encrypted to a very high standard (by Skype). Each session is treated as if you were in our therapy room, however there are some important differences:
- You may see a small picture of yourself in the corner of your screen, this can be a little distracting at first, until you get used to it.
- You may need to set your end up carefully to ensure confidentiality, privacy, and an interuption-free environment.
- Due to the nature of video and a broadband connection, there may be some service interruptions during the sessions.
- Video can not fully substitute the experience of seeing a therapist in person, therefore there will be some subtle differences within the relationship and the therapy itself, such as the lack of suitable therapeutic props, the absent physical presence of another, and other differences that will be unique to you.
Who would benefit from using online and skype counselling?
- If you have a disability or a condition where you may not be able to leave your home.
- If you live outside of Cornwall or abroad.
- If you live in a very rural location without transport, or no transport links.
- If you are a parent or carer, and have problems getting support for somebody you are caring for.
- Any consenting adult with a good command of the English language.
Currently we are only offering skype psychotherapy and counselling to individuals.
How do I book in a skype / online session with you?
Initially you will need to telephone us on 01726 76913, or email us to arrange your first free appointment. We will also ask you to complete an initial intake form prior to the appointment, to establish whether online psychotherapy would be effective in your particular circumstances.
The free appointment will be to test out the Skype connection, to give us both the opportunity to meet with each other and discuss some of your reasons for wanting therapy, to ask any questions, get some immediate support, and of course I will explain what our service can offer you.
For Skype psychotherapy or counselling (including the free initial session) you will need:
- Computer, Laptop, Netbook, or an xbox
- Webcam, or a kinect camera if using and xboxSound (speakers or headset)
- Microphone (built in with the webcam, xbox, or on a separate headset)
- Skype installation, or a Microsoft live account with xbox
- An internet connection (high speed is better)
- A credit card or a Paypal account (not applicable for the free initial session)
You can contact us using the details below, and we will set up your first skype session with a therapist of your choice.